We highly recommend you bring
- Mosquito net, of quality, fine mesh, for sleeping in a dorm; or a waterproof tent, if you’d like more privacy.
- Summer sleeping bag or bed sheet and travel pillow
- Small combination padlock for locker.
- Water bottle: metal, glass, or a quality plastic bottle
- Headlamp and/or a Torch or Lantern (wind up or solar)
- Appropriate clothing. Bring clothing for work and casual, as well as respectable clothing for outings (Haitians take pride in appearance). Anticipate hot, humid weather: shorts, t- shirts, dresses and some long length clothes for evenings and mosquito prevention. The weekly market is an opportunity to purchase clothes, shoes, towels and bedding at a fair price.
- Appropriate footwear (good sandals and possibly sneakers and/or work boots)
- 100% Vegan Biodegradable toiletries (soap, laundry detergent, etc.) NO chemical toiletries! (And please check if we need extra brought, thanks!)
- Natural Bug Spray that also works against sand flies. (A good one, according to our experience, is Repel Lemon Eucalyptus 4-Ounce Insect Repellent Spray.)
- Medical First Aid kit
- Re-hydration salts sachets.
- Any special medication that you take regularly or may need in emergency.
And Don’t Forget
- Valid Travel Medical Insurance. Important: Please be aware that if you have a medical emergency, Sadhana Forest won’t be able to cover any of your medical/transportation costs!!
- Passport (and photocopy)
- Photocopy of Valid Travel Medical Insurance
- Photocopy of air ticket(s)
- Cash in Dominican pesos or USD equal to $6.00 USD per day to pay for food for your 1st month’s food contribution. (30days = $180usd or approximately 7560 Dominican pesos)
And these items could be useful/needed…
- Liquid bandage SPRAY! (Savlon Dry Antiseptic Spray, New-Skin Liquid Bandage, etc.) bandages, and disinfectant for wounds.
- Natural Sun cream
- Feminine sanitary items (MoonCup, Keeper or similar product)
- Vegan vitamin B-12
- Spare glasses/contact lenses
- Mattress/sleeping pad (we do have a limited supply of foam mats plus many natural mats).
- Small rope
- Strong adhesive tape (eg. Duct Tape)
- Pocket knife
- Rain equipment (rain coat, umbrella etc.)
- Swimming suit
- Small backpack
- Snorkel/swimming goggles (it is the Caribbean Sea after all, and some outstanding snorkeling locations are only a short drive away)
- Cell phone
- An Internet device, like a Smartphone, tablet or Kindle.
- Notebook and pen/pencil
- Books (We have many books here but welcome new additions.)
There are times when we need supplies which may not be available on the Island of Hispaniola. If you are willing and able to carry some supplies, we will happily reimburse you for your efforts. Please let us know if you are willing to do this. An example of what we appreciate being brought from the USA is Dr. Bronners liquid soap for our hand wash stations.
Again, we DO NOT encourage bringing too many valuables. We currently have limited space to lock up computers and cameras. There is an Internet cafe in Pedernales, which you can Skype at if needed.